Friday, January 21, 2011

To cut or not to cut?

That is the question every woman asks her hairdresser at some point in their relationship. I don’t know if I was having the winter blahs or just tired of looking at the same hairstyle for the past few years, but I bit the bullet and got some light side bangs. My one friend says, “Get Bangs, not Botox!”

Now every bride knows the cardinal rule, don’t change your hairstyle or hair color before your big day. You want to look like the girl that he proposed to, and be recognized by your friends and family as you walk down the aisle. But, after the nuptials, you have Cha Cha permission to change it up. For any Cha Cha girls out there expecting, you will also have a desire to go shorter. Don’t ask why, but it must have something to do with the fact you know you won’t have time to take care of yourself anymore!

Women spend so much time and energy on their hair. In fact, a Pantene survey in 2010 said 54% of us got madder at our hair than our significant other. Now, that is Cha Cha funny! According to a British survey conducted by Tresemme’, the average woman spends a staggering $50,000 on her hair over her lifetime. Between shampoos, conditioners, styling products, haircuts and for those of us that enhance our natural color, we could spend more than a $1,000 on our hair a year. Maybe Suave has the right idea, let’s just make it look like we spent a fortune on our hair!

But money is not the only significant investment we make in our quest for beauty. The amount of time we spend is also astounding when you add it up. ChaCha girls everywhere spend an average of one hour and 53 minutes a week washing, blow drying and styling our hair. By the time we reach the age of 65, we will have spent more than seven months of our lives on our hair! I have curly hair so summer time is easy for me, but when I have to dry and flatten my curls for a sleek stylish winter look or a fancy look, that is a solid hour I just lost. In fact, last time for a special event, I decided to pay my hairstylist $35 for her to do it and it lasted almost all week! My husband may disagree with my theory of money well spent, but he can blow his funds on items I interpret as a waste of mulah too. The real question is, “Will he even notice that I got some bangs?”

There are all kinds of tricks out there such as washing your hair the night before so drying won’t take as along, or purchasing the technologically advanced flat irons for wet hair. I have spent countless hours of my life watching infomercials on styling products and tools that can make my hair no fuss. The only thing I can count on besides death and taxes, is it my bangs will grow back if I hate them. Of course the question remains, how long until I cut them again!

If you recently changed up your hairstyle or donated your hair to locks of love, drop me a picture and you might win a ChaCha ring of your choice for changing it up!

Contact Suzanne at s@chachabella.com