Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I once dressed up as deer for Halloween a few years ago.

My husband wasn’t in the mood to participate and he came as a hunter in his camo, literally right out of the woods.

I was thinking this year if I dressed up as a Spanish senorita, he can dress as the animal and wear a sign that says I’m the BULL -___(and you can fill in the blank) with the appropriate word choice. I am just kidding, my husband is great, he just doesn’t get excited about costumes. I must say that I was disappointed my deer costume didn’t win, I thought I was super creative with long brown socks on my hands and my cotton tail. Perhaps I can convince him to be Zorro, so at least we look like a costume couple. It is very ChaCha to coordinate costumes!

Did you know that costumes originally started because Halloween was the day that the dead would return to Earth and the scary costumes would ward off the ghosts? The Celts in Northern Ireland and France would celebrate their last day of summer and the harvest with bonfires hoping that the ghosts wouldn’t ruin their crops. The Romans then conquered them and merged their tradition of honoring the passing of the dead by celebrating Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruits and trees. This is where bobbing for apples originated. Apples (without the carmel) are the only healthy part of Halloween!

“Trick or Treat” didn’t come to America until the 1850’s when the Irish came over. The women did tricks with yarn, apples, and mirrors to see if they could “see” the name of their future husband. I guess every holiday can be romantic in some shape or form.

Nowadays, Halloween is a 6.9 billion dollar industry. With candy, costumes, and decorations- we can be scary, sexy or sweet. Halloween parties are fun to attend and throw. The theme can easily be set from the front door with scary spiders to the ghoulish ghost punch. I once attended a party as pregnant white trash girl bringing twinkies and ring-dings as my dessert contribution. Stay in character all night long and have fun! Your attitude makes the ChaCha costume memorable.

I would love to hear about your couple or family costume that is ChaCha creative. Drop me a line at s@chachabella.com to be entered to win a ChaChaBella hot halloween ring!